An interview is a chance for a hiring manager to get to know you, it is also your chance to get to know an employer. How can you make a good impression, while finding out everything you need to know about the position, culture and the company? Preparing some smart questions that demonstrate your interest in the role, will help you stand out from the rest. I have listed a few great examples of questions to help or guide you when preparing for your next interview.
Questions about the position
- What are the skills and characteristics of your high performing employees?
- Can you tell me what past employees have done to excel in this position?
- What might I expect in a typical day?
- What are some of the challenges someone in this position might face?
- What are the expectations in this role, how do you the evaluate that performance and the best way to achieve these goals?
- Are there any other requirements in this position i.e. are there be any special courses or training I would need to complete before being able to start this position?
Questions about the company and its culture
- What is the company’s management style?
- What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
- What’s the atmosphere in the office and people like that I will be working with?
- Could you tell me a bit more about the history of the company?
Questions about the hiring manager
- What have you enjoyed most about working here?
- What’s one of the most interesting projects or opportunities that you’ve worked on?
Avoid yes and no questions and “me” questions, the hiring manager would like to know how you’re going to benefit the company not how the company is going to benefit you.
There are many more questions you can ask, I have only named a few. And remember… it is important in any interview to be confident, prepared and interested. It can make a good interview, GREAT!!